Heather, part of the g.home team, was looking to purchase a mobile for above her daughter’s crib. While there were many cute options out there, most were just too expensive to justify the purchase. To cut costs, we decided to create one ourselves! To match a cactus print that she has in the nursery, we decided to use those colors as inspiration. You can follow along with the DIY steps below to create your own felt ball baby mobile!
1. Attach the two pieces of wood together with the hot glue gun and glue. We reinforced ours with fishing line, wrapped around where the two pieces joined together. If you have thicker wood, you could also screw the two pieces together, starting at the bottom.
2. String the felt balls onto the fishing line. We had 4 pieces of fishing line and put 5 felt balls on each string. Vary the colors as you see fit. Once all 5 balls were on the string, tie a double knot at the end so that they don’t slide off.
3. Space the felt balls evenly along the line. Using the hot glue gun and glue, make a small dot of glue below the felt ball. When the glue dries, it will hold the ball up so that it does not slide down the line.
4. Tie each of the felt ball strung lines to the ends of the wood pieces.
5. Cut 4 more pieces of fishing line and tie them next to your felt ball strung lines. Gather those 4 pieces of fishing line at the top and create a loop to hang on the eye hook.
6. Trim the fishing line so that no noticeable ends are sticking out.
7. Screw the eye hook into the ceiling where you want to hang your mobile.
8. Loop the fishing line around the eye hook and your done!